There are so many podcasts that you’re probably wondering where to start so I’ve compiled a list of 30 of the best podcasts for people who learn French at intermediate to advanced levels! I’m regularly updating it so there may eventually be more than 30 🙂
Many of my clients suggested these podcasts as they found them useful in their own learning process. Others are some of my favourites as a native French speaker.
To make it easier for you, I’ve sorted them by level and themes.
Beginner to intermediate level
Vocabulary & basic grammar
The best podcasts to learn French if you’re a beginner!
- Radio Lingua/Coffee Break French
- Duolingo (half English/half French)
- Français Authentique (he does all levels)
Podcasts by teachers
- My podcast “MyPolyglotLife en français”:
- Weekly about societal issues and cultural topics. Ideal to prepare DELF, DALF, TCF ou TEF.
- Once a month a “Bavardages” episode where I interview francophiles and francophones to inspire learners!
- InnerFrench : One of the best podcasts for Intermediate levels
- Podcast “Balades” on LingQ (available with the free version): anecdotes and tips for French learners. With transcriptions and vocabulary explained.
- French Voices, a French teacher who lives in Australia records interviews accessible to intermediate levels. She explains the context in English, translates a few words of vocabulary important for understanding and provides a complete transcript of all the first episodes.
Good but discontinued podcasts
Paris o’clock, short episodes on culture-related topics, slow enough to allow you to understand. Unfortunately it’s been on hold for a while but you can still enjoy the first episodes!
Fleur de lis, a podcast in Quebec French accessible from A2-B1 level. Unfortunately this one’s on hold as well.
RFI Journal en français facile (which is actually not so easy, but there is the transcription and they explain some expressions)
If you are preparing for the DELF or TEF/TCF exams, I particularly recommend Coffee Break French (for everyday conversation and grammar), My Polyglot Life and InnerFrench to develop your vocabulary and general French culture, useful for oral expression.
Best podcasts to learn French: Higher intermediate and advanced (native podcasts)
News and Society
“Minute Papillon“, 20minutes.fr news website podcast
“Transfert” a collection of podcasts on Slate.fr
“Les Experts” on France Bleu
France Info Junior (ok it’s not a podcast but it’s well done and informative)
RFI: Les mots d’actualité
Le Poukwa (The Why)
Choses à savoir : Great short podcast! Episodes are 2-3 minutes long on many different topics and there is a transcript. Skip the episodes that don’t appeal to you.
Here are 2 platforms producing a variety of podcasts, I’m sure you’ll find some you enjoy!
Binge . Including one of my favorites: Les couilles sur la table (“Balls on the table”), a podcast on modern feminism and masculinity, and also: Program B et Kiffe ta race (about race and racism in France).
Louie Media (including 2 of my favourites: “Emotions” and “Travail en cours“). Louie Media provides transcript on their website.
Podcasts by Arte Radio (and also their YouTube Channel). Everything produced by this German-French channel is high quality.
- La crème de la crème
- Nouvelle école
- La leçon, le podcast sur l’art d’échouer (et de devenir plus fort)
Shows and podcasts on France Culture
- One thing in a French day
- Entre, 2 saisons: la première avec Justine, une enfant de 11 ans, la seconde avec Lucien et Julie (11 et 8 ans)
- 6 podcasts sur le travail (a list by the newspaper Les Echos)
Mindfulness/meditation and personal development
In another article, I will tell you all about the benefits that meditation can bring to your learning process!
If you are preparing a DELF/DALF/TEF/TCF test, these are also indispensable techniques that will help you manage your stress!
Another podcast that delivers plenty of tips in just a few minutes: “le Flow” by Didier Sicaud
With these short podcasts, you won’t be able to say “I don’t have time to listen to French anymore” 🙂
“Chiffon“, by Chantal Thomass on Grazia.fr
Enjoy these podcasts!
Tell me in the comments what you think of them and don’t hesitate to add your own recommendations!
Check out also Marissa’s list. You may find additional links.
You might also like, on my French website:
Les meilleures chansons pour apprendre le français.