Conjugation in French may seem overwhelming and I’ve often seen many confusions between the future tense and the conditional. In this workshop (small group of 6 max), you’ll review the conjugations and you’ll practice using them in situations relevant to your own life!
Clear, structured, thought-provoking explanations and targeted practice.
No endless lectures, no boring exercises, no artificial situations without context.
Straight to the point to save time, energy and money on tutoring. Improve faster through personalised practice!
Sign up now
Who is this workshop for?
- You’re learning French and have studied, even briefly, the conjugation of the French future tense and conditional. As a reminder: Future is for plans, Conditional is for possibility, hypotheses, wishes and desires.
(not sure? if you’ve completed A2 level, you’ve viewed both)
- You’re feeling confused about the future tense and the conditional. For example, maybe you:
- can’t remember the difference
- don’t know irregular verbs
- are not sure when to use which and what’s the difference with the tense called “future proche” that you use more often
- you know the theory but need practice
- You’ve planned or need to plan goals for 2021 (personal, work, language learning, health, etc)
- You’re ready to invest a small amount of money to get clarity, learn durably in an interesting way and save time in the long term.
In French, future and conditional look alike and it gets confusing for many people but it’s not complicated and we can troubleshoot many issues with simple explanations and targeted practice.
What you’ll get from the workshop, concretely
You want to finally have a clear picture of the differences and uses of conditional/future in a real relatable context?
You want to practice while doing something you’ll actually use in your daily life or work?
Practice in a small group: maximum 6 participants.
In this workshop and with the prep work you’ll learn
- How to form futur simple, futur proche, conditionnel présent
- How to create your own mnemonics to remember the differences
- In what situations you need to use each tense
- Vocabulary relevant to a topic of your choice (health, learning language, personal life, work)
- As a bonus, you’ll establish some goals for yourself, you’ll be able to write them and talk about it in French!
Words from my coachees
“Cathy explains the grammar concepts very well, she’s patient and answers all my questions. I’ve had many “lightbulb”, “ah-ah” moments and I was able to understand things I had studied in my language classes but didn’t fully grasp at the time.” (Jordan, USA)
“I really enjoy when we do targeted practice of grammatical points. I feel it helps me put the conjugations in context and understand the big picture and how to use them when I speak. Conjugations are not abstract any more and even if I still make mistakes I’m now able to correct myself. It also helped me improve my listening and reading comprehension as I’m now able to understand nuances indicated by the conjugations.” (Dan, UK)
Certificate of completion
I offer an option to get personalized corrections of your written goals and a short conversation in a private session to test your speaking skills on those conjugations.
With this option, you’ll get a certificate of completion for the masterclass (3 levels: attended the masterclass / passed / passed with honours). This certificate is not a diploma, it attests you’ve studied in depth and practiced the conjugations. The level of the certificate indicates the level of mastery of the concepts and their applications.
What’s in the workshop about the conjugation of French future tense and conditional?
Bite-sized chunks of grammar. Videos, a workbook and time to prepare before the class. A live session to ask questions and practice. Personal and concrete application of the concepts: your 2021 goals and action plan.
- Short, clear and logical explanations. No lectures, no fill-the-blanks exercises.
- Examples and prompts to help you start and vocabulary linked to the topic your chose.
- Do the prep work at your own pace and show up for the live Masterclass (max. 6 people).
- Apply the concepts in sentences relevant to your own life.
- Practice speaking during the interactive masterclass in a small group.
This masterclass is designed to mark the beginning of the year and won’t be offered in the same format this year. Registrations open January 12. Masterclass happening in late January.
Words from my coachees
“We used concrete situations that could happen in my daily life and it made it easier for me to make sense of how to use each conjugation and to remember the differences. Because it was all so relevant to my life, I had a lot of opportunities to apply the new vocabulary and the concepts right away outside of the class and each time it felt easier. I could feel faster progress because I was constantly reinforcing what I learned until it became automatic.” (Dieter, Germany)
“Cathy is able to break down the concepts into a logical sequence that makes it easy to understand. Grammar done like that is never boring and I’m always excited to discover new things and explore connections and differences between all the languages I speak. It definitely helps to deepen my understanding of the French language. I like to know how things work and the grammar conversations answer all the questions I may have about conjugations and their practical applications.” (Elham, Iran)
Who facilitates the workshop?
I’m Cathy, I help French learners living in a francophone region or working with francophones make sense of the language and navigate the cultural differences.
We work both on the language skills and mindset to maintain motivation high and to work around blockages, if any.
I work mostly with people from different backgrounds who have learned English as a second language, who use English at work but now have to learn French as adults to socialize and feel more integrated in their environment.
I also work with anglophone Canadians learning or relearning French.
My method is made of 3 key aspects:
- Together, we break down the grammar so you can understand the concepts
- Together and on your own time, we focus on applying the concepts right away in conversations relevant to your own life
- On your own time, listen to and read as much French as you can
More words from my coachees
“It’s so useful to practice with situations I encounter in my own life, it helps me connect the dots and reuse the concepts rapidly. I also felt very safe during the class and I wasn’t afraid of trying sentences more complex than I usually use. It helped me improve my syntax and get more confident when I speak.” (Eduardo, Brazil)
“I could never remember which were the endings of conditionnel and which were future… actually I never even used future simple, I always used future proche instead because it was simpler. After explaining and practicing all 3 tenses, and talking about what I could do to remember the endings, it’s finally clear which is which.”” (Myriam, Malaysia)
I’m a beginner, can I join?
You need some basic knowledge of future and conditional. If you’ve reached A2 level in a language course, you qualify. If you’ve studied on your own the future tense and conditional, for example, we’re talking about sentences like “tu chanteras” (“You will sing”) and “tu chanterais” (“You would sing”).
How is it different from a traditional lesson or a language course?
Before the workshop
- There’s no boring lecture part.
- You’ll do a lot of thinking on your own but I’ll provide all the important information in a structured way. I’ve tested the structure time and time again in my 1:1 sessions and helped many students see some logic behind the concepts.
- You’ll come to understand the grammar through your own thought process so it will be easier to make sense of everything. Grammar is like building blocks, with this masterclass you’ll be able to assemble them yourself, in a way that makes sense and is easy to remember for you. This way of learning is durable. Even more durable because it will be coupled with targeted practice.
- You’ll have time to think and draft up sentences before the masterclass.
During the workshop
- Therefore when we meet you’ll be ready with specific questions about things bothering you or things you don’t understand.
- By troubleshooting the issues and talking about it, it will reinforce the learning and create stronger connections in your brain.
- During the masterclass, you’ll also get ample time to practice live and get corrections. There will be some time to talk with all the participants and some time in breakout rooms. Practice the sentences you’ve prepared but also practice speaking spontaneously in a safe environment.
After the workshop
- You’ll have accumulated valuable grammar practice
- You’ll have set some goals and an action plan to achieve them!
- You may access the material again at any time, including the recording of the live session.
- If you choose the option or if you sign up before January 15, you’ll get a certificate of completion.
- The masterclass won’t be offered this year in a similar format.
I’ve already established my goals, I’m afraid the masterclass is happening too late for me.
Have you noticed how we’re always motivated at the beginning of January and then by the end of the month, we’ve already abandoned most of our resolutions?
Participating in this masterclass gives you a chance to think about your goals now and to readjust and renew your motivation at a crucial time in a couple of weeks. Double win: set some good habits, improve your French and reinforce your commitment to reaching your goals!
Not sure how to set goals? Find clarity about your intentions while you wait for the Masterclass and free up more time to practice French once you receive the material.
Read this blog post by Sharon “Eurolinguist” about 6 different goal-setting methods.
Any questions? Send me an e-mail!